Is Everyone a Potential Client?

By Sadie L. Harper of Southern Ambition

A conversation I have with all my biz owner clients centers around problem clients. It’s a lesson
most of us learn the hard way, but I’ve learned to look for certain things at the beginning which
have helped me. So how do I tell? Read on…


First, not everyone is your client. Not every consultation leads to a long-term, profitable client-biz
owner relationship. And that’s okay! I gather a lot of information – both verbal and non-verbal –
in my initial conversations with clients.


An example: I was in discussions with a business owner for me to do some work for her.
I’d sent samples, and she’d agreed to a price and scope of work. My first indication was her hedging
on setting up a meeting to go over everything in detail. If someone will not devote an hour of their
time, this usually is not a one-time issue. My second clue was when she said she “decided to go
another way” because someone else was cheaper. I was already not charging a whole lot – far less
than market rate – and so here was a biz owner who wanted less cost. Third, she didn’t want to pay
a deposit. She wanted product delivered for a “trial run” before paying.


I happened to get all three of my biggest red flags in the same client on this one. In the past, I’d
have been tempted to lower my price to get the job. But I’ve learned (the hard way) that this means
I resent the work. I also know my value better this time around, and so I do not ever reduce fees.
I will adjust the scope of work and assess lower fees consistent with that, but I do not ever keep the
larger scope of work while lowering my fees.


Clients who don’t want to pay my fees are not my clients (I ensure my fees are not exorbitant but
market-palatable). Clients who do not want to pay a deposit up front are not my clients. In the past,
to get the work/fees, I have waived this requirement – only to deliver work product and have them
refuse to pay. This costs me money and time – and frustration! And so as a business policy, I always
take at least 50% up front prior to beginning work, and I take the balance prior to delivery. If they
have an issue with this, then I politely bow out and seek out other clients.


And finally, clients who cannot keep commitments even on a small scale are always problem clients.
If they cannot commit to an initial consultation, then I expect they will not commit to communicating
with me or to setting up meetings throughout.

Meet Sadie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Sadie L. Harper

How to be an entrepreneur: 3 benchmarks

The 30-second Commercial--As Easy As It Sounds?